Charlotte Immigration Attorney
Charlotte Immigration Lawyer About Us Frequently Asked Questions Contact Us
Immigration Practice Areas
Asylum / Withholding
Cancellation of Removal
Crime Victims & Domestic Violence
Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals
Deferred Action for Parents
Deportation Defense
Dual Intent Visas
Employment-Based Visas
Family-Based Visas
Immigrant Visas (Green Card)
Immigration Court
Labor Certification
Motions to Reopen
Non-immigrant Visas
Relief from Removal
Stateside Provisional Waiver

Family-Based Visas

Charlotte Immigration Lawyer

Family-based sponsorship is the most common form of immigration or lawful permanent residency in the United States. A family-based visa is commonly known as a green card, which allows you to live and work permanently in this country. If you need legal assistance with obtaining a green card through the sponsorship of a family member in or around Charlotte, North Carolina, or in the surrounding communities, it is strongly advised that you consult with the Charlotte immigration attorney at the firm as soon as possible. Attorney Kelli Allen devotes her law practice exclusively to immigration and nationality law and can provide the capable assistance you need to achieve results.

Applying for a family-based visa involves several steps. First, your sponsoring family member must submit a petition with proof of your relationship to the family member who files on your behalf. Several categories of family-based immigration exist:

  • Immediate relatives, spouses or minor children of U.S. citizens
  • Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Spouses and unmarried children (under 21) of lawful permanent residents
  • Unmarried sons and daughters (over 21) of lawful permanent residents
  • Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and children
  • Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens aged 21 and older, and their spouses and children.

Once your petition is approved, the Department of State will determine if an immigrant visa number is available to be assigned. If you are already in the U.S. you may then apply to adjust your status to a lawful permanent resident. If you are outside of the U.S. when the visa number becomes available, you must complete the immigration process through a U.S. consulate.

In any immigration matter, it is in your best interest to discuss your case with the Charlotte immigration lawyer at the firm so that you can put forth your strongest effort in achieving the immigration status you seek.

Contact the Charlotte Immigration Attorney at the firm today if you wish to apply for a family-based visa (green card).

Click here to be automatically connected to our office
Fill out our online case evaluation form here
Click here to read more information on our blog
Read what our clients are saying about us
Do you konw which visa is right for you?